Friday, April 11, 2008

One Year Ago...

Today is the one year anniversary of Jeremy and I getting officially engaged!!! We decided to get married February 2nd, but it was mandatory that he ask my dad before He gave me the ring, but since me family lived in Utah...none of them had ever actually met him. We had planned a trip home for Easter that year to have him meet everyone. Due to the announcement of a new baby in the family plans had to be adjusted slightly, and My parents made a trip down to meet him. They arrived on the 10th, and we took them over to Mesa where we walked around the Temple grounds and then went to Costa Vida for dinner. We laughed and talked and then my mom asked me where the restroom was. I pointed down the hall and said "straight back" and turned back to Jeremy and Dad. My mom didn't miss a beat and said "show me". I was like...uh...okay - because straight back is a hard direction to follow?! So we excuse ourselves and mom tells me how much she likes him. That's good!! Little did I know "the talk" was going down right there is Costa Vida!! Here's what I've been told about it - Jeremy never even had to ask my dad for my hand - my dad pretty much gave me up!! I KNOW!! He started off with saying "I was going to make you sweat a little like Ginnia's (that's my dad's nick name for my mom - so cute!!) dad did to me, but I really like you Jeremy, and I can tell how happy you make Sarah. So we would be happy if you would marry my daughter." I guess Jeremy was pretty surprised and SO excited that he got off so easily, and then my loving father added "But if you hurt her I'm going to have to send Uncle Guido after you" (My Mom's family is Italian). apparently Jeremy didn't even get a chance to flash fear, because my adorable dad cracked up in giggles and said "there's no Uncle Guido". And that was that. I still give Daddy a hard time about giving me up, but I loved how he could see from a couple of hours how incredibly happy I was, and how lucky I got when Jeremy found me.The next night we invited Karen over to my apartment to meet my parents. We had pasta - they talked and got along really well. It was a good night. Then as his mom was leaving Jer asked if I wanted to go get some fresh air. Of course I went and was pretty sure what it was about. He drove to what is now lovingly referred to as our park, and parked. I got out and turned around expecting Jeremy to be beside me, he was still in the car - fumbling in his console for something. I didn't want him to know I knew why we were there so I turned around and pretended to be looking at the sky and waited for him. He finally got out and we walked around for a minute until he came to the back side of the pavilion where we had our first pick nick, and under an old fashioned lamp post he turned to me and told me how much he loved me and asked me to marry him. I cried and said YES! and he put the most beautiful ring EVER on my left hand and he hugged and laughed and talked and when I was sufficiently freezing he took me home. I showed the ring to my parents - texted pictures of the ring to all my friends (it was too late to be calling people), and tried to sleep.I love you Jeremy. Thank you for wanting me. Thank you for loving me. Thank you for making our marriage Eternal. Thank you for taking such great care of me. Thank you for being worthy to hold the priesthood. Thank you for being the guy I never imagined could exist in the real world. I love you so much, and I am truly honored to wear your ring and be your Eternal Companion.

1 comment:

Diana said...

Thanks for sharing that story! So sweet! You are both amazing people! Glad to know you and be your friend!