How do I know this?
I know it when I look into the eyes of one of his old Home Teaching companions as they tell me a story of my dad, and their eyes twinkle with the light of his memory. I want to be that diligent and that faithful in my callings. In my service and devotion to the Lord.
I know it when I remember those few precious years I had with him,
and how I felt to be with him. To laugh and play. I want to be that Dad. The one who no matter how long a day at work it was, there is always time to play. And not just play, to be a kid again, to joke and tell silly stories. Stories that my kids will pass on to their kids and to their kids. I want my kids to be dreamers too. To use their imagination, to know what it is to look up in the sky and wonder. I remember going out to the flight line and laying on the hood of our old beat up Subaru and watching as planes would take off. Leaning close to my Dad as the rumble turned to a frenzied roar just before the jets would pass overhead shaking us and the car. I want my little ones to have those same moments with Dad, the same feeling of security, the same fondness.I know it when I hear the sacrifices he made in being a worthy Priesthood holder and strong head of a family. I want to be like
him in that. To lead my family in righteousness. To give such a lasting impression that they will remember it years later. I want my kids to see their parents get ready to go to the Temple. To know when Dad puts on his Old Spice... it's because he is going somewhere special. I want to have the same love and devotion for the gospel such that when The Lord calls me home, people say it was because they needed one more faithful man up there and that he must be serving as hard as he did down here.This is for a life well lived, a life that left an impression enough that in a mortal absence, a wonderful father could still be felt and known.
This is for my Dad, a guy so good, Heaven needed him back.
Happy Father's Day!
4 comments:
oh jer, what a great post. i remember how funny your dad was. i loved his laugh. it always made ME laugh with him!! love you.
Beautiful!!
Wow, make me cry Jeremy. Written so perfectly! I remember your dad, playing games and cards with the family right around the time Dennis and I were married. He was lots of fun and boy do you look like him! He has to be proud of the great young man you are!
I'm just now figuring out how this blogging thing works.
I'm so grateful, as I know your Dad is, that you are who you are, that you have a strong testimony, and that you sought the guidance of the Holy Ghost is choosing your eternal companion. You will be a choice father yourself someday, my son.
I love you!
Mom
Post a Comment