Friday, November 7, 2008

Enlightened Thinking

I promise this is not turning into a political tirade blog!! But this was...amazing. I was reading CNN today, and came across an IREPORT that shocked and saddened me, and then I read the comments and found this. It was a must share. Opposition on every side right?

" I'm a free thinker too. In fact, I am so much of a free thinker that I converted to the LDS church when I was 23. I came from a family with no religious affiliation whatsoever. And I took 11 months of careful consideration, contemplation, and most importantly prayer. So let me point out a few flaws in what you are saying- because as you stated, you don't have the facts.

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints did not "send money to California" to support proposition 8. In fact, we had an announcement on a recent Sunday that members were not to talk about the issue from the pulpit during our Sunday meeting. It was members of our church, and many other churches who donated their own money, time and energy to this campaign.

Hurts, doesn't it? To know that the popular views of the day don't overcome a people's will to defend their beliefs? Kind of makes you wish you had something similar in your life, huh? What you, and most other "No on 8" people fail to grasp is the concept that individual members who care about religious morality as it is has existed since the founding of our country and before were the grass roots movement that defeated your agenda. It was not big business donations, no Hollywood campaign, no liberal media bias- nothing but honest humble quiet people who voted to keep government from redefining marriage. And that kills you- because you know how loud and large you were with this issue.

It's funny that you espouse the virtues of "free thinking" as though no one who has any religious beliefs that restrict their behavior in any way could be a free thinker. You claim that enlightened "free thinkers" are the only people capable of rational thought, and that rational thought cannot be inspired or influenced by any concept of divinity. You sir, are an idiot. You have based your entire broad casted argument on the idea of equality for all and a separation of church and state, but you forget that government interference is what got us here first. And now, the people have spoken- democracy has been voiced, and still you attack us personally. You think that by focusing the attack on a group of conservative, quiet, humble people, you will get an edge and persuade. You only make yourself look sad.

Here is the fact- the yes on prop 8 vote was not just Mormons. It was not even close. It was everyone who values traditional family definitions as being the best way for society to maintain a grounded, stable society. It was everyone who recognizes that God does not change with time, and although people might- his kingdom maintains its standards. And buddy- that's not just the Mormons. There are a lot more people in "liberal CA" that think that way too.

And as for Barack Obama being a symbol of free thinking- he is- sure. He is also a symbol of leadership. And those two things don't tie together with bigoted, hateful attacks on a group of people who do not agree with you. They don't tie together with ignoring the democratic process twice to side with a vocal, loud minority that wants to take away something from religious conservatives and trample on it. I know- I voted for Obama.

What's that- I said bigoted and hateful?!? Yes- I did. That's because i have never see anything as hateful or as shameful as the supporters of prop 8 attacking those that don't agree with them. Classless profanity, bottles thrown at sign holders, drive-by threats- yeah- way to win support. I have never seen someone so pathetic as a grown man threatening to kick my ass from his pickup truck because I held a prop 8 sign, and getting real quiet when I walked over towards him. Just a sad, sad group of people.

So- I am a free thinker. Heck- I'm a Mormon Democrat. And I would appreciate some class from your side when espousing your view. Ignorant attacks on a quiet humble people is just unbecoming of what ever you stand for.

Oh- and here is some enlightening for you- as a father with a daughter, I don't think there is a better, safer way for your children to grow up than with LDS values. But hey- you're the enlightened one."


Well done.

1 comment:

Jewel said...

Thank you for posting that!! That made me so glad to be a part of those true "free-thinking Mormons" who still believe in God and support traditional family values. Appreciate you standing up for what we believe in!!