Saturday, April 11, 2009

VENOM Cake

My sweet friends E and D have a fabulous son named Kayle. He lives with his mom out in the middle of nowhere (Thatcher). Well they found out the other day that he would get to spend Easter up here!! YEAH!!! And as is his Birthday is almost here They decided to throw him a party. I'm not going to lie i wanted to volunteer to do the cake because it's really fun for me, but i said to myself - Self, just calm down and if D wants or needs your help she will ask. Why do we talk ourselves out of doing service so often - strange. But i did. Then yesterday I was chatting with her and she was sounding a bit stressed. So I offered. I kind of felt bad offering, but i did it and i think she was happy to let me help. I hope It helped...

I had found an AWESOME picture of this really incredible Batman cake so I ran it past her and E and K (the boy child) and K decided he wanted a venom cake. (That would be the 'dark' version of spider man for those who are WAY out of the loop...just kidding D!!!) So i started looking for pictures. NOTHING. I was getting really bugged!! Then I saw this (here):
I swear I heard angels and it got really bright all around my computer screen!!! If you have ever seen the last spider man - terrible by the way I would not recommend it. But they did introduce Venom in it and the way they did the transformation was awesome...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBaOEfWw1F4

As soon as i saw that cake it hit me!!! RED frosting all over the two cakes (I did two layers) with BLACK frosting shooting out from the center and a venom figurine coming out of the center of it. I baked the cakes and started the frosting, and because i was running out of time with the cakes I decided to just buy the frosting. Did you know red frosting doesn't exist in this world? No, not in the real world. I did end up with a fabulous pink frosting though!!! See:


Isn't that pretty?!!!!?? But there was no way I was showing up to an 11 yr old boys birthday party with a pink venom cake...oiy!! We tried EVERYTHING! I used an entire jar of red gel, and 4 of those small bottles of red liquid food coloring. We used strawberry jello. We tried pomegranate juice. We tried Strawberry Jam....None of it worked!!! I was so hacked!! Oh my sake!!

So I started over. Three more cans of frosting, 1 full bottle and a part of blue food coloring and some red sprinkles later we had this....

(again - I'm not a photographer so all my pictures are none so great, but i hope you can see it)

This is looking down on it.



This is dark , but it shows the whole cake pretty well...



this is Venom. He supposed to look scary but he kind has a "hallelu" look to him right here...


I was pretty stoked about this cake actually. in the end it turned out much much better than i expected it to. I think the blue with the red really gave it that perfect spider man feel. I think Kayle liked it...i really hope so. It was mostly fun to make. I'm slightly against frosting today, but...i think it was worth it!!

I also made some Easter chicks cake pops...not all that fun and i probably won't be doing them again...at least not until I forget how much i hated doing them the first time. they are kind of cute though...and they taste good.

Today I'm making a cake for Jeremy's Family Easter party tomorrow (that we're not even going to...hehehe). Here's what i came up with: I used te rest of the chick stuff from yesterday and here we go...really not what i had pictured, but that kind of seems to be the theme this week.


the chocolate crumbs are supposed to look like nests...oh well. It's done!! YEAH!!

4 comments:

Xazmin said...

You're so cute. Love the Venom cake! I remember trying to make red frosting once. UGH!

And cake pops are enough of a pain without making cute little chiks! Love them!

Xazmin

Diana said...

We ALL loved the venom cake!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!! I wasn't really stressing, yet! But I know when it came down to it, then I would probably stress a little trying to make something cool, something besides a 9x13. AWESOME!!!! I am so glad that this is something you enjoy AND do SO well! Sorry the red gave you such problems!!! There's GOT to be a way....we'll have to ask around.
LOVE YOU SO MUCH!!!!

Tanielle said...

Oh you are adorable!!! You can make a cake for me anytime! They turned out so cute, what fun...for you, I don't have patience to decorate cakes!:-)

Have a great day!

Tanielle

Shalise said...

Those are the coolest cakes I've ever seen!! Your creativity is astounding and so fun.