Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Angels and Chicken Wings

Jeremy and I started a tradition last year that I LOVE. Now please, as you read this, don't think I'm bragging or judging. I am not. I just want to share what a wonderful Christmas we are having.

First- Last weekend we went to snowflake to visit some of our best friends. They moved there this last year and I have missed them like crazy!!! She was staring in a play. The Forgotten Carols. Yeah - I know - big stuff. So we went to see her.

She did so well!! It was incredible!! I have heard her sing lots of times, but this was so different. I was blown away!!!! It was a great weekend and JUST what I needed to really get into the spirit of Christmas.

See... The Friday before we left I found out I'm still not pregnant. This was very difficult for me because I had so hoped to get to share the news and Christmas. It also brought with it some more stress. For whatever reason the body that I have been fighting with for a year and a half now to work the way it's supposed to...has stopped again. I had 4 months. And now It's started all over. I don't know what the problem is. But it broke my heart.

So I needed this trip, and our friends did not disappoint!! It was fantastic!!

We came home Sunday and I was back at work yesterday. Last night we had planned a Family Home Evening that would turn out to beat all others!!!!

There was no formal lesson.

No Scripture.

But it was so full of the spirit that I cried...three times.

Okay our tradition is to take the money we would have spent on each other, and give it to someone who needs it. We buy each other pajamas and fill a stocking each. But that's it. Everything else goes to someone who is really needs it. Who maybe doesn't have things as good as we do this year.

We are aware we may not be able to do as much some years as others, and possibly one day we won't be able to do it at all. But This year we can. We gave our Bishop some to give to someone in our ward who needs it.

We don't know who.

It doesn't matter.

Then we went to the Mall and picked out some Angels from the angel tree. We took our little angels and bought everything we could for them. Things they needed. Things they don't have.

Like shoes.

Blankets.

A toothbrush, and tooth paste.

Diapers.

A sleeping bag.

Things we take for granted every single day. Things we can't imagine not having because we always have had them. For people who don't have anything. Not a roof. Not warm walls.

Nothing.

I cried as I walked through the angle trees. It broke my heart.

We went to the store and filled our cart. We laughed and talked and thought about needs. We bagged the items and took them back to the Mall. We handed them over and left.

I cried again.

We went to dinner (this is the chicken wings part), and had the sweetest waitress ever. She was funny and nice and helpful and adorable. And because we have the means right now...we left a big tip. And left.

I cried again.

It as a wonderful night. It is what Christmas is really about. Love and giving and hoping for peace on Earth.

No one has the perfect life. Some people are homeless. Some Can't find work. Some can't have babies. Some miscarry. Some find themselves alone. Some find themselves working on Christmas - away from their loved ones. Some don't know their Father in Heaven loves them. Some don't know anyone loves them.

I Hope and Pray that all of you have the chance to feel what I felt last night. To feel how I'm feeling today. I hope all of us take the opportunity to help someone know they are loved. To know someone cares about them. That even if we can't always empathize with the trials of others that we can at least sympathize. That we can love. That even if we can't help financially we can help emotionally. We can love.

I hope all of you have a very Merry and Bright Christmas. I hope this season is filled with love. And Peace. And Lots of Joy. I hope you all know how much I love you. How much I appreciate you and look forward to the next year of getting to know you all better!!

Much love and Merry Christmas!!!
Jeremy & Sarah Hrebicek

12 comments:

Brittany Ann said...

Oh honey. I am sorry you are not expecting yet. Trust me, I know that feeling so well. I've been in tears myself over not being pregnant last month, so I couldn't share it over Christmas.

Still, your tradition? So beautiful! So special! So what Christmas is all about! What a blessing you are to the world!

Katie @ Loves of Life said...

i love your tradition...absolutely LOVE it..........

Katrina Rasband said...

love it! i am crying too! :o) merry christmas!

The creative housewife said...

Sweetie I'm so sorry!
I know what it feels like to celebrate yet another Christmas without being pregnant!
We have been trying to get pregnant for 2 and a half years now.

I Love your tradition! I always do the toys for tots and & the operation Christmas child!!

I hope you have a Wonderful blessed Christmas! And A great happy new year!
-The Creative Housewife!

Kristy said...

I just love you so much! You give so much love in your life. When that little one finally does get here I can't imagine a better more loving home!

I'll see you soon!

Kristy

P.S. Check out thevintageclothespin.blogspot.com you won!!!

Ben and Dena said...

Sarah- loved this post! Thank you for sharing your experiences- you always make me want to be better- just like you!
Love you!
Deen

Katie and Howard said...

You two are amazing...what a wonderful tradition. And a great way to show the true meaning of Christmas!! Thanks for sharing.
I'm glad you had fun watching the Forgotten Carols. We watched if for YW and I lost it during the "Mary Let Me Hold Her Baby" part...what a wonderful and powerful song!! (especially right now) Please know my thoughts and prayers are with you! :) MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!

Ian & Cassie said...

Awe Sarah, you always want to make me do better! thanks for sharing your experience. You are so awesome and I love you very much. Have a Merry Christmas!

the princess said...

you have no idea how much i needed to read this post today, sarah. you make me want to be better. i LOVE YOU!!

Tanielle said...

You are amazing, and I just love ya! Thanks for sharing this awesome tradition, I needed to read this post today! :-)

Xazmin said...

You guys are such wonderful examples of the pure love of Christ. I am so glad I "met" you - I just love ya! I hope your Christmas was fabulous.

the princess said...

btw, sare - i LOVE the new background! so pretty and classy!