I'm not a member of the Catholic Church. I did have this friend I worked with though that was, and she got me doing Lent every year. Last year I gave up coke...It was no problem. Seriously. I was excited to have one, but it wasn't a BIG deal (unless you ask Jeremy that is).
This yeah I have thought a lot about it and I actually wasn't going to do it, because it really wasn't a religious thing for me. That sounds terrible, but I hope you will understand. I think it's a beautiful practice, and I respect people of that faith who actively participate in it, but I am not doing it for the same reasons. I understand the point behind it, but I have different traditions in my religion that do not include Lent. It was more a "I can totally give up something I really like!!" thing for me. Very different from the religious point!
Anyway - in the end I decided I would. I decided to give up ice cream. I love ice cream, so I was a little worried. But I thought - eh - no problem!! I even started looking up alternative desert recipes to prepare myself.
Then we had friends over last night and she had made ice cream cookie sandwiches. I had not told her of giving it up so it wasn't her fault. But I was like...dang it! what now. Something you should know - yesterday I had a discussion with some people I work with now about Lent and that I participate even though I am not a Catholic. They gave me weird looks, and so didn't get it. So I started wondering if I should be participating in this at all...I was worried I was offending people. So I asked Jeremy and he said well my dad had planned to be a Catholic Priest when he grew up. And I thought...hu. I could do that. As a way to kind of connect with him...someone I didn't get to met on this Earth, and won't get to meet for a while...but someone I very much respect...I could do that. So I was going to...until I saw the cookies.
I had two. BAD!!! I KNOW!!!! I have guilt. Feel free to judge.
3 comments:
Bahahahaaaaa! I totally didn't see the end coming there! LOL!
Haha! In Dec of 2008 I decided to make 2009s resolution not to drink any soda. On New Years we had Pizza & Wings ...... & soda! lol I didn't even make it through the 1st day! AHHH!
As a Catholic, I'd have caved too:) Don't feel bad.
And don't let anyone give you weird looks. I have tons of non-Catholic friends who do Lent, too!
Post a Comment