Thursday, September 30, 2010

OH BALLS!

Meat Balls that is. I like 'em. They are great with Red Sauce. Over Pasta. With Cheese. Oh, Heaven help me.

One problem...I can't eat any of that stuff right now....because I ate too much of it the first 27 years of my life. For Reals. ANYWAY!

Jeremy Cooks at our house. I don't cook. I take out. BWAHAHAHA (I'm actually laughing out loud right now. Sad. I never got why we aren't supposed to laugh at our own jokes...What is that about? If it really is funny who cares!?! I'm jus sayin. Hmm? Oh, right!) Jeremy Cooks at our house. I bake him sweets to make up for it, and I may even do the dishes once in a while....He's a lucky guy!

He learned from his mom and Grandmother who have produced the best Chicken Salsa Burros (which is gringo speak for Burrito (I totally rolled my rrrrrs and saw myself wearing a sombrero while saying that - more laughter - I woke up early and couldn't get back to sleep...can you tell?) Because we're cool like that down here), and Green Chili Casserole on the planet. That whole big blue and green thing girls. Seriously. He also likes to watch cooking shows...like that guy who grills whole slabs of meat because he can? Stuff like that. He's learned a lot through his 30-something years (babe - wasn't that fun to say?!!). Hes gotten good. Ask anyone who has broken bread at our house. He's good. They would probably use some @#$%#@*@#)$# cause he's that good.

But he's had to kind of start all over in the last 4-1/2 months, because he always relied heavily on fats and carbs and....well you know - all the really good stuff, but that doesn't work for me any more. And because he loves me, he is trying to help me reach this crazy goal of mine. (I'm going to give you a hint on the big achievement I mentioned yesterday...47 12 61 4)

He's gotten quite a few recipes put together for us now though. And they have all been Fat Girl Approved. Henceforth referred to as FGA. (don't take offense to me saying the word fat umkay? Maybe we will talk about this another time...) Seriously REALLY good meals!! I've been feeling guilty about not sharing these...There are so many amazing recipes out there, but healthy, and normal don't always grace the same web page. His stuff is healthy. Full of flavor. Bright and colorful. And totally something your kids would eat. So I'm going to start sharing his favorite recipes with you...YEAH!!!

Here is his latest, and one of my new favorites:

Tuscan Meatballs:
3/4 lb 93/7 Ground Beef
3 Table Spoons Walden Farms Italian with Sun-dried Tomato Dressing (you can find this at Sprouts. If you don't have Sprouts where you are check you local hippie market.)
Italian Seasoning
Crushed Sea Salt (Sea salt is better for you than table salt.)

Mix ingredients by hand in a bowl. (yes I know it's gross but he defies you to mix it better with a spoon)
Roll into 1 inch meat balls. They should be about 1 oz each. (Since I can eat 5 oz of meal for dinner this means I'm eating 5 of these beauties! it totally leaves you mentally feeling like you're splurging, but physically satisfied. It's a fine line to reach, but this does it!)
Place on un-greased baking sheet, and place in oven set to 375.

Sauce:

6-8 Plum Tomatoes
3-6 Basil Leaves
2 Cloves Garlic
1/2 small onion
2 Tablespoons-ish Olive oil (enough to make it Sauce not Salsa)

Dice, Food process, use harsh language, whatever you prefer to cut up the tomatoes, onions, basil and garlic.
Place in bowl. Add Olive Oil and Salt to taste. And Taste and taste and taste...It's GOOD. I'll probably ask him t make more next time so I can snitch more than he would let me the other night.

To cut out the carbs of the pasta - just replace it with a bed of sauteed mushrooms. Put the Meatballs on top of the mushrooms, and then the sauce and you're looking at one pretty plate of Italian-like goodness. We didn't even miss the pasta. For reals.

Wanna see a picture...Remember I'm no photographer....Here you go:
I dug out a meatball to show you... Isn't it pretty??


It tasted really good too!! And for those of you NOT on a boycott against sugar...OH MY CAKE is back...

5 comments:

Claire said...

The title of your post totally made me laugh out loud. Mainly because Scott taught Cecelia to say that when she drops something. Nice, huh. Those meatballs look delish. I have recently become a huge fan of the meatball.

Thanks for your help tonight! That went super quick!

Kristy said...

Put up our Halloween (or "hOlloween" as you incorrectly pronounce it!) decorations today and I thought of you...hope things are going well!!
I'll be in Arizona in about month for a few hours...flying in and driving the van back in a flash so Kristy doesn't have a baby while I'm gone... :)

See you soon?

Brady

Brittany Ann said...

As an Italian woman, this is a recipe after my own heart! I adore balls, er, meatballs!

Anonymous said...

Hey Sis, just need to clarify something with you! LOL Sea Salt is Great! I love it it is way delish, but remember your main source (unless you eat lots of seafood and kelp) of iodine is iodized salt (which sea salt is not) and to avoid getting goiter (a nasty HUGE lump on your neck from an enlarged thyroid) you want to make sure you get enough iodine in your diet! So by all means tout the wonders of sea salt but remember to take in some iodized salt as well! Love ya!

Katie and Howard said...

Thanks for the recipe...I'm going to have to try it out!!