I slide the key into the lock at my Mom's house with trepidation.
They've gone out of town and I've been watching and feeding the dog.
But no feeding today, today I'm saying goodbye to a cherished furry friend.
Cue fade to black
7 hours Earlier
*New message from Mom*
"The Neighbor just called. Sasha is in a coma. You'll have to bury her in the Gma's backyard. Call when you can"
I place the back down on my desk at work and sigh. It's already been a devil of a day with the car accident being the night prior and trouble trying to wrap things up for a big network outage at work.
And now this.
About a half hour later I find some time to call my Mom who is in California at Disneyland. She is in tears.
Sasha, the families loyal canine companion was picked up at the pound when I was 14..and I'm going to be 32 in a couple months. So to say she had lived a fruitful life was a bit of an understatement.
But the news of the loss of a family pet is always tragic. Especially when you are about to ride Pirates of Caribbean.
You know. The ride featuring a scruffy animatronic dog?
Arrangements are made and I'll be going to check on the Sasha, most likely taken on golden wings to meet St. Peter, and bury her with affections extended from her loving master.
Five O'clock comes and it's a long drive out to Peoria.
I'm dreading what I'll find and a little sad too.
Pirates of the Missippi's "Feed Jake" keeps running through my head.
Finally at my Mom's, Sarah and I look out the arcadia door to see the dog, lying still on the back porch.
I sigh... and see one eye pop open.
huh.
An ear twitches.
Yeah, that's...huh.
Sarah helps wake the dog up and get her to her feet.
The animal looks a bit put off at having been woken and made to stand up.
To be fair, she didn't know she was supposed to be dead. I'd be irritated and confused to if someone woke my butt up and then started laughing and gibbering like an idiot.
*beep**boop*
"Hey Mom...yeah...no, no the dog isn't dead. Seriously"
Being 18 years of age, Sasha is deaf as a post. Turns out, the neighbor didn't shake the dog, only called and whistled to see if she'd rouse from her morning slumber.
So moral of the story, you shouldn't actually let a sleeping dog lie. Especially if you're going to assume said dog is dead.
2 comments:
OH MAN!!!!!
So glad she's okay. But sheesh!!
Laughing out loud. No really. That's hilarious!
Post a Comment