I saw this quote the other day, and it's completely perfect for the New Year at the Hreebs House. Our paperwork is FINALLY submitted to the state of AZ OLCR (it stands for something, but I can never remember what it is...Office of Licensing....... Certification.... and something.....Registration?)!! I'm super DUPER excited about this!
This has been a totally and completely crazy 7 months! June 19th was the intro meeting with our agency. AASK is the agency we went with by the way, Aid to Adoption of Special Kids. They are incredible! I'm so so so grateful that we were referred to them! They have been WONDERFUL! Anyway - June 19th, 20012. We did the first few interviews and inspections and then we started our classes in mid August. We finished them on October 29th.
What a huge relief - I can't even tell you!! Like I said before, Our class was every Monday, for 3 hours, for 10 weeks! We had homework almost every single week, and had a HUGE binder full of material to read through. It was long, and tiresome, and totally incredible! We learned so much in that class!! Obviously, our classes were tailored to Foster Children and the challenges they face, but we were taught so many awesome things about raising children that apply to all children too!! For example, spanking. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not going to tell you that you should or shouldn't spank!! But as Foster Parents we are strictly prohibited from spanking. It's something Jer and I had to get over. We both turned out fine after being spanked, right?! However; we were taught so many other ways to handle discipline. Oh my sake! The advice we got about tantrums - priceless!! It was totally eye opening. I would seriously recommend parenting classes to every single parent!! They are incredible, and sharing experiences with other parents and learning from them was awesome. We got to know so many people in class too. In the end, it was actually kind of fun, and we were both a little sad when it was all over... along with a lot relieved!!
These last several months have brought so much our way. Interviews (a lot of interviews!) inspections, child proofing, furniture refinishing, room painting, and decorating, a "foster sprinkle", sorting and organizing kids clothes and toys, and there's lots more! And it's been the best kind of craziness! We are so looking forward to what comes next!! We can't wait to be parents!!
This year will change everything for us. I can't wait!
Foster Parenting is different than any other parenting. These kids have been through unimaginable trauma. They are hurt. And these hurts have caused them lasting emotional damage. Every child deserves a safe place to grow up surrounded by people who love them. If you have room in your home, please consider becoming a Foster Parent. It's hard, and often frustrating, and a little scary, but I truly believe that giving a child a safe and loving home where they can grow and learn is the greatest thing you could do in this life. There is a massive need for loving people and safe homes. Please consider it!!
Arizona DES
Aid to Adoption of Special Kids

2 comments:
Can I just say that I am SO happy that you are back to blogging?! I have missed you!! And also, I wanted to say how happy it makes me that you guys are going to be foster parents. I have a few different friends who have had a range of experiences in foster care during their childhoods, and for the most of them, it was a really bad time. The fact that incredible, loving, beautiful people like you and Jeremy are doing this makes my heart super happy. I am sure that you are going to affect the children you bring into your home for life! I wish that my friends had people like you to support them! Makes me wanna cry. I am so excited for this journey you are on & I know it will be challenging, and rewarding, and an incredible experience. So proud of you guys! Love you to death!! Miss your faces.
PS--MERMAIDS FOR LIFE!!
Oh, I can't wait either! And I can't wait to read more about your journey.
You guys are going to make such a difference in some really lucky children's lives!
Post a Comment