Thursday, January 10, 2013

We are not all terrible!!!

I was watching a show last night, and they made a brief reference to foster parents. Like so many times before, it was negative. It portrayed a foster father as an abusive, careless.... terrible person. It breaks my heart. It makes me mad. It makes me sad.

These kids have been hurt, and the thought of someone who has been trusted to protect them and try to start them on a path of recovery and healing doing more damage and causing more pain is unfathomable. It does happen though, and it breaks my heart.

But we are not all terrible!! Most foster parents simply want to help these kids. Most want to help these kids. Most foster parents grow to love these kids, and ache when they leave. A lot find themselves adopting their foster kids.

This is a short post. All I really want to say is that I wish - wish - wish the TV people would stop painting foster care as this ultra terrible thing, and foster parents as universally evil people who are only out to collect a check and couldn't care less about the kids.

By the way, since I brought it up...the big check? Oh yeah... we will be LUCKY if it covers normal monthly expenses. Just so you know.

I'm just so irritated with the popular conception of "the system". So irritated. We just want to help these kids. They need so much help...

2 comments:

Howard and Katie said...

Amen! ;)

Ian & Cassie said...

You have no idea how much you will help them. I have been in their shoes and I loved my foster parents and still visit them to this day and treat them as my family. Foster parents are great people who are there to help.