I don't like Valentine's Day. I think it's a silly "holiday". But, this year is different. SO different! There are Valentine's Sugar Cookies on the counter with bright pink frosting and sprinkles. There are hearts hanging in all the windows, on the front door, the wall, and on the mantle. I bought Jer a Valentine's gift. I wished people a Happy Valentine's day!! Who am I?!?
Of course, the biggest change is that this year I'm typing this as I listen to my three week old baby chirping as he sleeps next to me. He is the reason I have changed my tune this year. He's the reason for a lot of things these days, but more on that later. Like all great moms, I want to do everything I can to give my little guy the best childhood possible. Oh. That sounded like I was saying I was a great mom!! How incredibly conceded of me! Didn't mean it like that, but anyway! I want him to grow big and strong. I want him to gain weight. I want him to learn new things, and develop just like he's supposed to! I also want to give him as much joy and happiness as his little body can hold onto. I know that sounds silly, and yes, I know he won't remember any of this, and yes, I know he won't really understand what is going on, but I want him to experience everything anyway!
Which is why Valentine's Day, St. Patrick's Day, Arbor day, and any other little holiday that comes our way will be an occasion to celebrate at our house! There will be tons of photos. There will be lots written in a memory book. There will be a life lived. Foster Care only ever guarantees you right now. This moment is all that is promised, because who knows but that a phone call, or an email could change everything. Right now is all we have with this little man that we fell in love with the first moment we saw him. Right now. So I will be making every single right now I can the best and most sparkly ever. And I'm rapidly learning, that this is the best way for me to live.
Make that call you have been putting off. Send the card, or letter. Ride the mechanical bull. Buy those shoes and wear the red lipstick. Do it.
Right now.


No comments:
Post a Comment