Thursday, February 14, 2013

"Ready"

So I'll start off by saying this isn't Sarah. You'd figure it out soon enough once you noticed the lack of wit and effervescence, but I thought I'd start by setting expectations low.

A few weeks ago, we got put on "The List". One list to rule them all and in the system find them, it is what tells everyone we are ready to share our love and care with the little ones who need it.

Being the industrious, be prepared, go big or go home people we are, we geared up the house for 2.5 feet of toddler energy. We filled the fridge with Chicken Nuggets and whole milk. The pantry was packed with Ravioli, Cheerios, Cheesy Macaroni, and all manner of snacks. We got the kids room kitted with toys and the 4 in 1 set up to contain a marginally mobile resident.

But "ready" need not apply when it comes to foster care. We got a placement within 2 days of going on the list... and well...

One of my favorite quotes from The West Wing is "I didn't realize babies come with hats. You guys crack me up. You don't have jobs. You can't walk or speak the language. You don't have a dollar in your pockets but you got yourselves a hat so everything's fine."

Shy of 6 pounds and tinier than I thought people could be, our first placement came as a brand new 3 day old baby. Fully outfitted with aforementioned hat, booties, some diapers and formula.

It has been an unexpected adventure, one we never thought we'd have with late night feedings, diaper changing and days filled with firsts.

And we love it.

We love him.

This, my friends, is what it is all about.



2 comments:

Howard and Katie said...

I love this!! And it just goes to show...there is no planning with foster care!! But I'm so happy for you guys!

Hedgecocks said...

Aww the good life. Enjoy!